Saturday, 14 June 2008

Backgrounders - Step by Step

I apologise now for the extra long post today but I took the pics as I completed the process and I thought they might be of some help to someone somewhere!!!

I know from talking to others that not everyone can see what to do exactly with a backgrounder except perhaps the obvious such as a "canvas" bg to add texture to cardstock so I thought I'd show how I use some of them in their own right as the focus of the card. Follow the post for more pics and step-by-step colouring.
Sunflowers backgrounder and sentiment by Cornish Heritage Farms. Leaf from a Kim Hughes set by CHF too. Green dotty cardstock by A muse.


I used the Sunflowers background by Cornish Heritage Farms and inked it with Versamark before using black embossing powder and a heat gun. This creates the right surface for applying inks.

I chose Adirondack inks to sponge colour in the following sequence.



I filled the white gaps with a little more sunshine yellow to brighten the card generally and finished by using a Souffle pen for white highlights. I intensified the flower centres with cardinal copic R59.
This is another card I made for my Dad using a similar method with Trees backgrounder from Cornish Heritage Farms. The orange dotty paper is by A muse and I dulled it down a little by brushing it with yellow acrylic paint. The chipboard is by Stampin UP and painted with orange and yellow acrylic paints.
Alphabet stamps, retired from PSX. Dotty stamp is by Hot off the press.
Black stitched grosgrain from Creative Impressions and orange ribbon by Amuse. I think this one is my favourite!!

This is just another little sample using a paisley backgrounder by CHF but sponged with more vivid ink pads! Put on your sunglasses!!

(TIP - if you don't have a white pen handy, use a tippex pen or white out with a fine paintbrush for the same effect). I haven't made this into a card yet......




SORRY for the epic post!!!

5 comments:

Julia Stainton said...

This is just stunning Mandy! Beautiful tutorial!

chelemom said...

Thanks for the tutorial! These are all so gorgeous!!!

Smilynstef said...

I love the step-by-step creative process ... thanks for sahring.

June said...

Thank for for this Amanda. Lovely to see all those Adirondack colours. I have lots of the original colours but never tried the brights. The effect is fabulous on the backgrounders. The tips are grand, shall have to try this.

Doris said...

Thanks for sharing all your coloring techniques--I learned a lot!