Thursday, 19 June 2008

A Frog Chorus!

Today, I'm going to attempt to take you step by step on my Copic colouring of "Frog Chorus" from Tom Allen's Friendly Kritters range at Cornish Heritage Farms. This one is fun to colour and I've not used too many colours to keep it fairly simple.


I started by colouring all the frogs wiht YG00, Mimosa yellow and I decided at a fairly early stage to use A muse stitched grosgrain so that was a good colour guide for me to keep at hand.

I added shadows with YG23 new leaf which I then blended with the mimosa yellow again to avoid any stripey lines.

The frog's lovely round tummies were coloured with Y38 honey but I kept the colour neat and strong around the outline of the bellies and faded towards the centre by just lifting a little colour from the Honey tip with my Colorless blender. Alternatively you could use the colorless blender to remove some of the colour from the centre of the bellies after colouring in full with Honey. If you look closely you can see that I added little dabs of honey to the bodies as well.



Next up, I used R29, Lipstick red with colorless blender to colour their tongues, keeping a darker red towards the back of the tongue. I'm ashamed at how grubby my R29 looks but I was able to use some of this old ink along with Honey to colour the ground under the frogs. There is a little ladybird to the right (out of shot) which is R29 too.

One of my most used pens is BG10, Cool shadow which I used here around the edges of the frogs and around their bibs. I also used the T3, Toner Gray, no. 3 at the very foreground and to cast darker shadows on their limbs.


Taadaahh!!!!


The sentiment is a new one from Cornish Heritage Farms which I cut up and placed half inside the card. Look at that ink BLOB!! Yak!

3 comments:

Julie Campbell said...

WONDERFUL tutorial!!! Great coloring! :)

Vicki said...

What a fab tutorial and thanks for sharing. I thoroughly enjoy visiting your blog, your creations and colouring are amazing. Well done to you xx vicki xx

Rach said...

ohhhh wish i could colour like this....fantastic tutorial...will have to start playing with my copics soon.....:/....they scare me a little at the moment...hehe.
You make it all look so easy...
Great job. hugs rach.xx